LAVREOTIKI LANDSCAPE AND CAPE SOUNION
The temple of Poseidon, the silver mines and Democracy.
Cancel up to 12 days before your trip and get a full refund, including service fees.
The tour along the beautiful rout Saint Constantine- Agrileza- Lavrion – Sounion gives us the opportunity to make several stopovers and visit well-known sights.
After an interesting briefing on the metallurgy and the mining activities in the area of Laureotica from the ancient times (3rd century BC-19th century) by the Museum of Mineralogy and Metallurgy, we will see the biggest venting well with a depth of 160 meters and we will walk inside the stone-built arched tunnel through which the first national railway used to pass.
Afterwards, following the rock formation ‘Chaos’ and the National Park southerly we are going to pass by ancient mines, metalworking sites, deserted settlements, arcades and excavation shafts. Do you want to walk through an ancient mineshaft for a while?
After our visit to the ancient quarries of Agrileza, we will enjoy the verdant scenery on our way to Cape Sounion where we will be able to admire the great Temple of Poseidon and the Temple of the goddess Athena (Minerva).
After a stopover for lunch, we will continue our excursion to Lavrion and to the archeological site of Thorikus where we can admire and take photos of the oldest preserved theatre of Greece that dates between 525th and 480th century BC. There we will also have the opportunity to see one of the oldest laboratory for metal cleaning (washer) of the 6th century BC.
Overwhelmed by the unique sights and experiences of the Lauretica we will head back. . . . . . What do you think? Is it worth a visit?
Pick up from hotel
Saint Constantine walking touring including St Constantinos Geological Museum
Visit ancient mines at Agrileza area
Lavrion: Lunch Break
Lavreotiki is a municipality at the southeasternnmost tip of the Attica peninsula in the Greek regional unit of East Attica. Its municipal seat is the town of Laurium (Lavrio).
It is historically important as a significant ancient mining district, most notably in the villages of Laurium and Thorikos on the southeastern seaboard during the 6th, 5th, and 4th centuries BCE. As such it financed the wealth of Athens and the emergence of the Athenian Empire through the slave-powered mining efforts for silver and lead, beginning with the discovery of 2 deep-vein mining efforts during the 480’s. Prior to that development, which at Themistocles urging in 483 BC led to the expansion of the Athenian fleet to 200 ships, only surface-mining was deployed as a technique for harvesting silver. More than 250 ore washeries have been identified by archaeologists and geologists in the district.
* In case of cancellation of the tour by organizers due to force majeure, the prepaid amount will be refunded, within 30 days from the scheduled date of the program.
* In the case of cancellation of participation up to ten (10) days before the trip, the entire amount paid is refunded.
* If cancellations are made from nine (9) days up to six (6) days prior to the start of the tour, the bookings will be converted into a bonus for a subsequent excursion (for the amount to which they correspond and will be spent within six months).
* If cancellations are made from five (5) days up to three (3) days prior to the start of the trip, the bookings will be converted into a bonus for a subsequent tour (50% of the amount to which they correspond and are spent within six months).
* Otherwise, if cancellation occurs within the last two days prior to the start of the trip, the amount paid will not be refunded.
Read more about the Terms & Conditions of Purchase
Video and recording of tours and presentations may be allowed with the organizer’s written permission. Photographic material and information, for commercial or journalistic purposes, related to the organized tours of KEDROS SA may be allowed with company’s written permission.